The Theme Was Retro

My lunchtime thrift shop is so busy that cool new things arrive daily. All of the items I found this week arrived either the day I shopped or the day before. If I were obsessive, I might have to stop by daily to make sure I don’t miss anything. But, I’m not obsessive, I’m not obsessive, I’m not obsessive. Really. I’m not.

I found a great hand-made shell mirror ($3.25) for my daughter. This will be great for a shell-themed area she is creating.

I also found two vintage brass candle sconces which are exactly like some that I inherited from my grandmother. I never wanted to paint hers, but these might see some paint one day. Or not. I might keep them so they all match. They would make quite a statement if all four hung together. These were $3.75 each.

I also found some Mikasa Cheers votives in the box. They have been used and need a little cleaning, but I thought were a great deal for $4.50.

And finally, this little girl clucked away until I picked her up. I just couldn’t leave her behind. For $1.25, it really wasn’t hard to bring her along home. She’s got a sweet little retro look to her.

During another lunchtime visit (but I’m not obsessed, remember) to the Salvation Army thrift store, I found these. A pyrex mixing bowl and two flowery plates which make me smile.

My lunchtime thrift has a sister thrift in a neighboring town. I stopped by there this week and found some Franciscan plates. Groovy, aren’t they? I’m still trying to find the pattern name for these; the backs show 104-73. Anyone know the pattern name for this retro design?

I almost missed this next item. It was on the top shelf and as I’ve mentioned before, I’m vertically challenged. When I pulled the box down to look, I was smitten with these cuties. Won’t they make an adorable addition to a tablescape?

Cute ant shaped salt and pepper shakers by Boston Warehouse, new in box. $2.25. Sold.

Yard sales were a bit of a bust today. We visited two neighborhoods having community sales in two separate towns.

The gold new-in package napkins were $1 and the only thing I found after stopping at numerous sales in one community. They were what I call a desperation purchase. You know what I mean, the purchase you make when you haven’t found anything and you are desperate to have something to show for your time? Yeah, they were a desperation purchase.

The girl’s black gloves, which appear to be vintage, and the sweet little lamb cake mold were found at the other community sale. The seller’s mother-in-law had gone into assisted-living and these had been her things.

My husband has fond memories of lamb-shaped cakes his grandmother made at Easter when he was a child. This little cake pan was certainly worth every bit of the dollar I paid just to bring that sweet memory back and a smile to my husband’s face.

The six blue and white saucers were made in England by Churchill. They don’t look old and that is fine; I really like the design. When I tell you that I paid a total of 25 cents for the six of them I think you will understand why they came home with me.

I hope to join the parties at Apron Thrift Girl’s Thrift Share Monday, Flea Market Finds at Her Library Adventures, Today’s Thrifty Treasures at Southern Hospitality, Nifty Thrifty Tuesdays at Coastal Charm, Thrifty Thursday at Tales from Bloggeritaville, and  Thrifty Things Friday at The Thrifty Groove.

Tammy

Advertisements

About tammylovesdishes

I love searching for dishes for tablescaping. That leads me to yard sales and thrift shops and fun, fun, fun.
This entry was posted in Dishes, Garage Sales, Tablescaping, Thrifting, Vintage, Yard Sales. Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to The Theme Was Retro

1. Debbie says:

Why you’re just like me. I’m not obsessive either. Really…
    (So nice to meet another thrift shopaholic in denial. LOL)

I love all of your finds, and I would LOVE to see a tablescape with those ants. I’m thinking a picnic theme, how about you?

2. laurie says:

Wow Tammy! You really got some bargains! You may not be obsessive, but you are obviously a thief, because you came close to stealing most of these treasures. I’m also not obsessive about going to thrift stores. I just know that they day thatf I don’t stop and look will be the day that somebody has dropped off some amazing treasure, so I am forced to stop in them frequently! laurie

3. Debbie says:

I believe your Franciscan pattern is called Pebbles Maze Path. Sweet retro find:)

4. Paula says:

Boy, you found some great things! I love those groovy dishes! The brass candle sconces and little chicken definitely would have come home with me had I seen then. Good luck with your thrifting this week!

5. Goodness Tammy…where are you putting all these treasures????

Janet xox

6. Van says:

Each find is awesome, but I especially love the retro-style chicken! Aw!

7. mary says:

So nice that you have thrift stores so close by that you can shop on your lunch hour!! What a fun way to spend the time –
    Love those cute ants!

8. dianne says:

It’s OK to be obessive about things you love, at least that’s what I tell myself as I am lugging home yet another box if dishes! Would love to see the cake you make with that mold. Dianne

9. Bridget says:

Not sure what the name of the pattern on the dishes are but I do know that there is a whole set in my attic. I picked out that set for my wedding registry!!!

10. StoneGable says:

Tammi, I want to go thrift shopping with you ~ you have a great eye!
    Thank you for joining StoneGable in the Mikasa Midnight Bloom giveaway! Good luck!

Also, join me for ON THE MENU MONDAY, a weekly menu planning linky party beginning this Sunday!
    Yvonne

11. You really got some nice deals – you did good. 😀
    Thanks for stopping by and nice comment.

12. SixBalloons says:

I know what you mean about getting obsessive about visiting my local shops… I almost feel like if I don’t go on a certain day, someone else will go in and scoop my wishlist items that are waiting on the shelf for me! I know. The first step is admitting I have a problem…. =)

13. I am not obsessed either. I am not obsessed. I am not obsessed. It’s just totally random that I happened to stop at the thrift store 3 times this week and already hit a yard sale this morning (Friday). Random, I say.

I love the things you found – love the lamb, love the chicken, love the ants (do we have an animal theme going here?), love the black gloves, love the Pyrex, love the shell mirror – love. it. all.

It’s good we don’t live in the same town cuz it could get ugly. Just kidding!!! Thanks for sharing all the beauty with us, you did really good! Stop by and see my thrifty vintage finds of the week.

Mary

14. LOL at what Tammy said above. I’m talking Out Loud. We’re pitiful, but at least we have a group. You know, there’s safety in numbers, right?!?!

15. Linderhof says:

You really found some treasures!

16. Betsy says:

Once again, you found some great goodies. Those ant salt and pepper shakers are adorable. What a great deal on the shell mirror…a great deal on all your treasures.

17. Fun finds Tammy! Love the dishes of course and the more retro the more I love them! Thank you for joining TTF and I hope you are having a great Sunday!

18. marlis says:

What a bunch of great finds you have. Wow.. Thanks for dropping in and leaving your kind comments. I’m a wee bit late so I’m playing catch-up ;-(…. Many blessings, Marlis

19. DogsMom says:

I have never seen S&P shaped as ants. What a great addition to any picnic table. I could see my family playing with them

20. DogsMom says:

(I got cut off!) playing with them and the ants showing up on someone’s plate or climbing into a drink, etc.

21. Chris says:

The Franciscan dishes are called Sundance. I still have a full set for 12 and love them! So very 70’s and so very cheerful.